20.6.06

Bent Over Backwards!

Well as usual the last couple of days have sucked! Nothing new to report at work, but I did email my teacher to let her know how miserable I was and she is going to come up, check the situation out and try to help. So that is good to know that she might be able to help.

I was riding my bike into town to retrieve my truck after a long night of drinking with Greg and as I was just getting across the lake I got my first flat up here. Just incase anyone is counting that is May 10th-June 19th with no flats, that is about a million fewer then I got in Greeley. I pulled the tire off and found the rim tape off to the side and a hole on the inside of the tube, I put a quick patch on it and rode into the 1 bike shop in town. I asked the foreign guy for some rim tape and he proceded to take my bike from me and began to replace it. I didn't think anything of it and I even asked him to put in a new tube I had. The whole process of stripping the old tape and installing the new tape should hypothedically take around 5 minutes at most, Right? Well after about 20 minutes of wandering around the store he was done!! He handed me my bike and told me my bill of $9.35, after I regained my composure after near death shock, I asked if he was crazy! He explained it was $3.35 for the tape and $6 for the installation of the tube. I nearly punched him in the throat! I walked my bike to the register and asked for the owner/guy who speaks English. I explained to him that this was crazy and there is NO WAY IN HELL I would have ever expected, let alone pay for some one to install a tube for me. He asked why I didn't stop him when he was doing it. I explained that I didn't ask him to install anything and I could have done it myself! I said that I have NEVER been to a bike shop that would ever charge for a tube installation and that the mere idea of it is insane! I paid for the tape and once again vowed never to purchase anything from there or recommend that shop to anyone! Am I wrong?

So I got the truck and headed to Boulder. Aaron, Dawn and myself went out for some drinks on the town and ended up at a really cool bar off of Pearl Street called Connor O Neils. They have trivia and it is a blast, I highly recommend it. Well as some of you know my breaks were going out on my car and it was making a pretty aweful noise. As Aaron put it, it is in his top 8 worse sounds he has ever heard. So I took it to Breaks Plus, after they looked them over and decided I would need new breaks, front and back and some other hardware that comes with basic ware and tear. Once I paid the bill I was nearly in tears! One-Thousand, One-Hundred and Seventy-Five Dollars!! That is nearly 1/10 of what the car cost me in 2002! It sucks, but I guess being able to stop is a good thing. But at that cost I would rather take my chances and try to find a steep uphill and let gravity take care of it.

On a brighter note I went and saw the Da Vinci Code and I have to say the Book was better. Actually I just wanted to say that because for once I actually read the book before the movie came out. The movie was good and it was exciting, but I really did like the book more, it seemed more rounded then the movie.

Well if anyone knows where I can get one of those doughnuts that you sit on, I could sure use it!

Catch ya later

1 comment:

Evan Sandstrom said...

just so you know at I-bike we charge 4 bucks