28.12.06

Work Work Work

So I worked 13 hours yesterday, it wasn't that big of a deal, my work is by no means "hard" but when you do anything for 13 hours you are going to be exhausted. I mean if you had pick you nose for 13 hours you are going to feel exhausted at the end.

My day started at 7 with my ritualistic 2 snooze alarm moring and a quick 35 minutes to get ready, take the dog out, make coffee, warm up the car, grap some munchies, and get out the door. I made it to work with my other ritual, 1 minute to spare before I start. The mornings at the Rec Center usually are not very busy, but we are in the tourist season so it is a bit more crazy. I sip my coffee and read my new book, (The children's version of "The Little Prince", it has lots of pictures and its pretty good so far) as the morning progresses I have 2 Argentineans come to fill out applications, and between the two of them they actually still spoke horrible English. I help them fill out their applications and check in all the regulars. Lunch time approaches, as does the tourist rush. I swear groups of people wait outside until they have around 50 people and then they bum-rush me. Now I know the majority of these people are on vaction and have this mysterious notion that when they are on a vacation all of the world must wait on them hand and foot, but that ain't my job. I cannot fathom how these people can let their children run around like chickens with their heads cut off, and screaming inside is not ok, no matter how old you are, but I guess within the Avon Recreation Center the law of the universe do not apply. The majority of these people have any where from 4-8 people in their group and a punch card is by far the best deal, but none of them trust me. I try to feel people out and decide who I want to tell about the punch card value and who I just allow to pay double what they should. In the end I usually regret cutting anyone a deal, they all end up treating me like shit. Then there are the locals, it is very trying for them to have all of these tourists in their regular routine, but none of them want to give me any slack. they come to the front of the line and expect me to scan them in right away, and when it is possible I will. But when they walk in like they own the place, tourists look at me like I am giving special treatment and then they bitch me out for allowing 3 people to waltz right in while they have to wait. I had one lady bitch me out because her Rec Center at home has week pass's and we don't and when she came 6 fuck'n years ago a day pass was a lot cheaper, then she starts to make outlandish statments about how I (personally) am cheating her. So here I am thinking, "Who the fuck do you think you are? The world does not rotate around you. You are just another rich bitch who has nothing useful to contribute to the world and your children might have possibly been sent to you straight from the devil himself." but in the end I refer her to the comment box. I generally work straight through my shift so I finish arond 2 and take a whole 15 minute break before I return to the Rec Center for some swimming with the Winter Break Camp. 95% of the kids in the Winter Break Camp are kids that go to other schools and are constantly testing myself and the other councelors. These kids are a prime example of how America is depriving its youth of the valuable medication they need. Ritalin for example, these kids have the attention span a bouncy-ball and the manors of cavemen. It boggles my mind how these kids can think it is okay to tell me they hate winter break camp, they hate me, they hate the other councelors, they hate every activity they do. So I am left thinking, "Fine no sweat off my back, I can leave you behind, much like the rest of the world will through out the course of your life until you are nothing more then a waist of space in society." but I refer them to the comment box. Then there are the space cadets. These individuals are 99% female and I cannot even be mad at these kids, I generally just feel sorry for them, but they are always good for a laugh. They wouldn't be able to find the comment box. While we were in the pool I just about saw a baby drown. The dad was way too far away and she fell backward and went under right away. The lifeguard and I just about went in, but her dad got her with about 2 seconds to spare, and when he pulled her out she had had the shit scared out of her for sure. After the pool we go to the school for pickup, and if you think these kids have problems, meet the parents. I looked at one girl and thought she was a mess and couldn't evern imagine what her parents were like..Then I came to realize her mom is a yoga instructor at the Rec Center and she is a walking joke. While we were at the school I got a call from another front desk worker who claims her best friend in the world is in town (magically it just happened)and wants to know if i'll work for her. (Don't lie to me, tell me the truth...You are already high and you are gonna get smashed because you are off tomorrow.) I tell her I will be at OT if I do, but she checks it out and it is ok. So I finish at the school at 6 and head back to the Rec Center for another 3 hours. Nights are slow, but you still get your characters. One lady asked my if it was eucalyptus she smelled in the steamroom, I attempted not to laugh, but I told her that I don't think I have ever seen a steamroom that didn't have eucalyptus added and that I hod no idea how "We get er in there!" The work day ended as uneventfully as it started.

Well if you read that whole thing, good for you. It is pretty much like that on a daily basis these days.

2 comments:

Evan Sandstrom said...

Pretty sure that is the best thing I can do right now. I'm pretty sure I need to be out of that town for a little while. I can see myself moving back, but not right now.

Keep on running... Catch me if you can... said...

Dude you need to work with a private camp in New York. That where the real neurosis is.
Happy Coloradoian New Year! I am back from Canada, and I liked there better than NY... Hmph...